Egyptian Government Closed Down the Internet

In Egypt, people are clamoring for government to bring the down the prices of basic commodities like food. The Egyptians are protesting in the streets of Egyptian cities and the protesters are gaining their number via the Internet, specifically through social networking sites like Facebook.

Is answering the people's demands the answer of the Egyptian government? No. The Egyptian government decided to shut down the Internet in their country in the hope that people will calm down and the number of protesters will stop growing.

As the year progresses, governments around the world are seeing the power of the Internet, especially social media sites like Twitter and Facebook in mustering people to action. It is the Internet crowd that is the noisiest of US President Obama supporters and their noise helped him to win the White House. Also, Facebook and Twitter became instrumental in the 2010 Presidential Election and helped Noynoy Aquino win the Malacanang. Blogs, Facebook and Twitter were used to construct and destroy images of presidential candidates.

The power of the Internet is reaching the developing countries around the world and the events in Egypt shows that the Internet can be used by the people to empower themselves against their corrupt governments. The answer of authocratic and corrupt government against this new found power of the people? "Total shut down of the Internet."

---

Follow me in Facebook and Twitter.

Thanks Technorati for informing me about this event.

21 Response to "Egyptian Government Closed Down the Internet"

  1. Before the internet surfaced all ugly things were swept under the carpet easily and news were not easily spread worldwide by word of mouth. With internet messages get across the globe in split seconds by word of mouse. That is why Egypt govt wanna clamped down on the mighty mouse.

    Yeah! They are afraid of the Internet that is why they chose to close it.

    that's the proof of how powerful the Internet is... buti na lang wala ako sa Egypt because i just can't live without internet

    @Blue:

    Correct. However, there is a breaking news. The Egyptian president just stepped down.

    Awesome read ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a blog site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear idea.

    If you are looking to get twitter followers than you have come to the right place. Watch our FREE tutorial videos that show you how to get more twitter followers for free or by using the various tools available online.

    Well, that is the prerogative of the Egyptian government. We can do nothing about it. Thank you anyway for posting.

    I think by doing that, people in Egypt will be at peace. Internet if not properly used will make us miserable.

    Well, that is the prerogative of the Egypt's government. That is their country.

    Well, we can do nothing about it. Maybe internet is a threat to the Government.

    The blog is innovative and provide essential information to viewers regarding this issue.I hope you will provide such more excellent information to us in coming days.

    Feels great to come along with a site that offers much specifics of any common subject just like that which you are covering. Many of the information are proven with evidences that it made me easy to relate many of my works, as well. I suppose you have already helped a lot of individuals of the same need.

    I really enjoyed this post, its great as well as informative article. I like looking over your blog, thanks for posting. Permit me to bookmark this article for future reading. Willing to visit quite often and study more posts with this level. Keep it up!

    Many thanks to this article. It is nice to know that it is this useful for my research. I have related much of my research works to this post and therefore helped it arrrive at an accurate conclusion. Keep your posts and continue to inspire other works.

    This very informative article is worth reading indeed. I see that the writer has exerted so much effort that he came up with this successful work. I look forward to reading same successful works from you soon. I appreciate it very much, in fact so stay connected and keep posting.

    I am pleased that I found out many useful information in this article. I did not expect it will be this informative. Indeed, it is informational. Hoping that many more readers will appreciate your works.

    The rise of internet brought to us lots of advantages. It helped our work became easier and made information at hand. But it also has its negative effects. The decision of Egyptian government to fully close the internet is also a great move.

    I’m impressed, I've got to say. Actually not often do you encounter a weblog that’s informative and entertaining. Let me notify you, you have hit the nail on the head. Your idea is great; the issue is something that enough people are speaking intelligently about.

    A friend often reminds me about this website but in fact this is the very first page I have checked out so far. I am highly pleased and right now an aficionado. Well I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look forward for much more of your respective intriguing content. Make sure you update this again soon.

    I’ve been surfing online more than two hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

    Many thanks for a good time visiting your web blog. It's really a pleasure knowing an internet site like that rich in great information.